PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen - Where should stove be?

seank_ca
01-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Hi, all.

I have another question for you guys. Our new home will have an island with nothing on it (by default); however, we are thinking of putting our range (which is currently against a wall with Microwave on top). More than 50% of the people I spoke with preferred stove against a wall rather than on an island but we initially preferred our stove on the island.

One more option would be....The current plan would have sink against a corner; however, I was thinking about putting another 1/2 sink on the island if we decided to keep the range against the wall.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Thanx,

SK

Alec
01-07-2004, 05:47 PM
The problem with a stove on the island is that you either have to use a less efficient downdraft ventilation or more expensive, harder-to-design-around updraft ventilation over the island.

The range or cooktop is usually placed on an outside wall because ventilation outside is easier. Whatever you do, make sure the ventilation is to the outside. Otherwise all you are doing is taking the smell out (somewhat), you are not getting rid of the heat.

I'd stay away from the type of ventilation that has a microwave included. They normally don't provide enough ventilation. That matters greatly when you don't want the smells, heat, and grease in the rest of the home.

A lot of people are putting a microwave on the island, in the cabinetry. I think raybeck may have done that.

raybeck
01-08-2004, 10:06 AM
We are building at the moment, too, and I did put a vegetable sink on my island the last house we built and this time I decided not to do that again...main reason...I never once used it in 3 years. Thought it was a cool idea, but just wasn't needed in our household. I will have a 48" triple sink again and guess that is enough sink for me...lol I don't think I would like the cooktop on the island, either, but that is just a personal preference, I guess. I really like using the island for so many things and through trial and error discovered not having anything on it but granite works best for me. We did ponder the idea of a microwave in the island cabinetry but decided against that, too. I decided that bending over to use the microwave might get old after a while, plus small children would have easy access to it. Hard to make all of these decisions, isn't it? Good luck to you. We are hoping to move in by April. Broke ground last January 24th...long process, but worth the wait.

seank_ca
01-09-2004, 06:37 PM
This is what I think right now (but, of course,the decision will be made based on the cost of this upgrade!)

Keep the stove against a wall (stove portion only - no Oven here) and have separate fan (ventillation) rather than the one with Microwave. Then place oven and microwave together on one side of a wall. What do you think?

As per the counter top, we are leaning towards granite slab but it is quite pricy through the sub-contractors so I am thinking of going with outside vendors such as HomeDepot or Lowes. Any thoughts? BTW, are there any other nice material other than granite that is more affordable?

Thanx,
SK

raybeck
01-13-2004, 03:50 PM
Hi, seank, our house will have the double ovens and the microwave on a separate wall like you are talking about. I like that set up really well. Yes, I know granite is expensive. You might think about only putting granite on the island and something much less expensive in the rest of the kitchen, if you can't go granite all over. We bought a new house when we sold our other one to build here at the ranch and that is how it is done. Granite on the island and laminate on the rest of the kitchen. It still looks very nice and much more affordable. Tile would be less expensive, but always worrying about staining the grout would probably drive me nuts. Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.

jamesglewisf
01-14-2004, 08:46 AM
I don't know about other materials, but we love our granite. It cleans easily. You can set hot things down on it without worrying about damage. It's also looks great.