FrappyDoo!  

Go Back   FrappyDoo! > Advice > Etiquette

Etiquette Gratuitous tips on tipping, dining, email, and general etiquette from FindaLink.net.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:19 AM   #1
snichols16
Smart Feller

Tipping for a house cleaning (maid) service

My girlfriend and I are getting a house cleaning service for our house in Los Angeles. We have hired a service and are having our house cleaned once a month. We have a two bedroom, one bath. It seems like it will be a team of house cleaners. They are charging $60. Do we tip? If so, how much? Is tipping guaged on how trashed our house is? Thanks!
snichols16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
Justawoman
Justamoderator

When I worked for Merry Maids 20 years ago in Dallas I never got tipped and yes it was a team that came in and cleaned. I was never alone. I would have been thrilled with a tip but the problem could be honest co-workers. The person who finds the tip might not share and then again they might. I still clean houses and make for sure I charge enough that a tip is not needed. I am happy with that.

But maybe Jim will pop in and let you know if tipping is an option. I just know what took place when I was a Merry Maid. I hope you like the job they do.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
jamesglewisf
Doofus Maximus

No need to tip.
jamesglewisf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
Justawoman
Justamoderator

I did get a gift yesterday. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
Hannamoren
snoopydooer

My mother cleaned houses too, but we never tip here. She did get presents for her birthday and for Christmas though. What did you get JAW?

- my get up and go has done got up and went
Hannamoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:11 PM   #6
Justawoman
Justamoderator

A cinnamon scented candle. It smells wonderful. The biggest thanks was the note attached. They loved their clean house. I really do love my job even at it's dirtiest.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
JPG
Fart Smeller

Have you checked to see what other people are tipping? Maybe it would help. Where do you live? I found a list of Los Angeles house cleaning services.
JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
chismjoseph35
Smart Feller

I think that tipping a Dallas cleaning service 5-7% is acceptable.
chismjoseph35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #9
chismjoseph35
Smart Feller

Quote:
Originally Posted by snichols16 View Post
My girlfriend and I are getting a house cleaning service for our house in Los Angeles. We have hired a service and are having our house cleaned once a month. We have a two bedroom, one bath. It seems like it will be a team of house cleaners. They are charging $60. Do we tip? If so, how much? Is tipping guaged on how trashed our house is? Thanks!
giving tip is up to you. I usually give tip when I am satisfied with the service and the people who did the job are very hospitable.
chismjoseph35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #10
barney
Smart Feller

Tipped-Is not a fair tradition to follow

See,their work is to carry these activities from the user behalf on minimum charges and it enables user to spend some quality time with their family.but we can give them some gifts on Christmas or new year eve and on some happy occasions.
barney is offline   Reply With Quote