FrappyDoo!  

Go Back   FrappyDoo! > Advice > Etiquette

Etiquette Gratuitous tips on tipping, dining, email, and general etiquette from FindaLink.net.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:26 PM   #1
bella
Smart Feller

What to wear to an office christmas party

Hi everyone, I am very grateful to find these boards. I have perused them but did not find the answer to the question I seek. I have to attend a company christmas party for my husbands job in NYC and am not sure what to wear. I found a dress I like but I am unclear as to whether you let the outside temperature be a factor in picking your attire. I am also confused about what shoes to wear-Is it acceptable to wear black stockings with open toed shoes? Would you wear closed shoes with a dress like this? Is this dress inappropriate because it is sleeveless?

I really have no clue, I grew up very poor and have never been to any type of event like this, and I am always afraid that I am doing something wrong. Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Here is the dress

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/Pro...=&pageindex=12

and here are the shoes

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/pro...&previouspage=

I tried to put in a picture but it wold not let me, so I had to do it via link.

Any advice is welcomed. This will be my first time meeting many of his coworkers and bosses.

Thank you!
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:47 AM   #2
dreuby
Gigglesnort Charteroo

First, I must say that I'm in the UK, and have no fashion sense

I think that dress would be great for an evening event. I should think that the venue will be heated to a temperature that would allow a sleeveless dress (how do men cope in suits and ties?), or you could always add a shawl or stole.

I think the main consideration with the shoes is "will I be able to wear them all night without crippling myself".
Old 10-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
Ellen
Smart Feller

I agree with Drueby concerning the shoes "COMFORT", especially if there will be music and dancing, but then again, I've seen women kick off their shoes at parties like this - me included.

I think the dress is perfect for such an occasion too. Again, as Drueby pointed out, the facility where the party will be held will no doubt be heated so you shouldn't have to worry about getting cold. Bringing a shawl is an excellent idea! Just in case you do feel a slight chill while indoors and want to cover your shoulders a bit.

I searched the same site you found your dress on for shawls and found a black fringed shawl I think would look nice with the dress, if you don't have anything else in mind.

Below is the link. (Hope the link works. Otherwise just search the site for shawls like I did :-).
http://www.newport-news.com/shop/Pro...rodnum=6165600

I hope you have a blast at the party!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
bella
Smart Feller

thank you so much for helping me. I will definitely use a shawl, and the shoes were more of a template cause I am not buying shoes with a 3.5 inch heel, I will look for something lower because I am tall, but what I am unclear about it

1) do I wear black nylons with open toed shoes?
2) are open toed shoes appropriate?

I am very excited about all this!
Old 10-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #5
Ellen
Smart Feller

Open or closed shoes? I think that choice is entirely up to you. Either, in my opinion, would be appropriate - as long as you're comfortable. Consider the weather! If you'll be walking from your door step to the car in snow, you don't want your feet to get wet!

Now this is just my personal opinion but I think black stockings/nylons should only be worn with a dress like you've selected (one that shows *calf/leg*) IF, and only IF, you have a darker skin tone. Otherwise nude or *bare* legs with this type of dress would be much more elegant. (You won't be covering up your neck and arms so why cover up your legs?)

If you're going to wear hose/stockings with an open toed shoe, consider painting your toe-nails and make sure your hose/stockings are sheer. (No reinforced toes!)
Old 10-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
Ellen
Smart Feller

Questions:

What is the length of your hair and how do you plan to wear it?

Have you thought about what jewelry you'll wear - if any?
Old 10-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #7
bella
Smart Feller

Ellen thank you so much for all your help. I picked a dress that is above the knee because my legas ar emy best feature by far. I am still looking for shoes, because I want something with a two inch heel or smaller. I am already taller than my husband and so not want to dwarf him lol. My hair is very curly and shoulder length and I am not sure what to do with it, some type of updo I would imagine?? I was thinking of these earrings

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....ROD_ID=1149725

Here is a weird question, If I wear silver shoes, do I wear nude hose? What about black shoes? I am looking for a dressy low heeled black peep toe pump maybe. I am not sure whether to do silver shoes/purse or black shoes/purse?
Old 10-28-2006, 11:45 AM   #8
Ellen
Smart Feller

I think nude hose would work with black or silver shoes, Bella. If you go with black hose though, I think black shoes would look best. A black peep toe pump would be great - if you can find one you like.

I was thinking about this whole *color of stockings thing* and remembered the movie, "Working Girl", with Melanie Griffith and Harrison Ford. Do you remember that movie?

In the movie, Melanie wore a black dress to a company party that was very similar in style to the one you've chosen - with sheer black stockings and black heels. (I think they were pumps with a closed toe). I bring this up because I had said I think black hose would work better for darker skinned women, and although I still personally think nude hose would look more elegant, Melanie G. is a very fair skinned woman and she looked great in the black stockings.

Still... since you're tall and you like your legs, heck, why not shoe em off with nude hose :-)!

Here's what I would do if I were in your undecided position:

Shop for shoes where I can try them on in person, bringing along a pair of black knee-high stockings and a pair of nude. Find both black and silver shoes if various styles and try each with both colors of stockings. Roll up your pant legs and look in the mirror to see which you like better. You can even wear black pants to get a bit of an idea what the shoes/stockings would look like with your dress.

If you want to shop for shoes online, nude hose with silver or black shoes - and if you go with black hose, only black shoes.

I looked at the earings and I think they'd look very nice! I have long- curly hair too and it can get really unrulely worn down so I can say if I were wearing what you plan on wearing, I'd wear my hair up - pulling out a few curls around my face and back of my neck. I wouldn't wear a necklace if I were wearing earings. (One or the other. Not both.)

The purse? Have you thoughts about adding a splash of color to everything? I think it would be fun to carry a red, green, or blue shiny or sequined clutch! Christmas colors! :-) (I'd go with black shoes if I carried a different colored purse though).

A final thought about black hose: If you're a light skinned person wearing black hose, if you get a snag or run in your stockings, the snag/run will be much more visually prominant than if you were wearing nude hose.

Last edited by Ellen; 10-28-2006 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts :-)
Old 10-29-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
jamesglewisf
Doofus Maximus

It looks like you are getting good advice. That dress was lovely. Have fun.
jamesglewisf is offline   Reply With Quote