FrappyDoo!  

Go Back   FrappyDoo! > Advice > Etiquette

Etiquette Gratuitous tips on tipping, dining, email, and general etiquette from FindaLink.net.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
srountree
Smart Feller

Question Tipping for Funeral Clergy, etc

How much does one tip for the minister, organist, choir director and any others at a large funeral? I am embarrarrassed to ask my priest for my husband's funeral this weekend.

Thanks!
srountree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
jamesglewisf
Doofus Maximus

From www.tipguide.org -

Quote:
Funeral Etiquette
The tip or gratuity for the clergyman who performs a funeral service is called the honorarium. The amount of the honorarium is typically $50-200. The amount is personal and varies based upon many factors:
  • How much of the service does the clergyman perform, and does it include a graveside service?
  • How many ministers are speaking at the service.
  • How well do you know the minister?
  • How good of a job does he do?
  • What is customary for the area?
  • How much can you afford?
When my daughter died, I had two ministers from my church perform the services. One spoke for the memorial service, and the other did the graveside. Both refused the honorarium. When this happens, wait a couple of months and do something special for him. Be sure to send a thank you card regardless.

If you are still not sure how much to give, then ask for some help from the funeral director. He will know what is customary.

You do not tip a funeral director.
The choir director and organist are probably about the same. The best thing to do is to just ask the choir director or organist what is customary.
jamesglewisf is offline   Reply With Quote